An entrepreneur with a variety of skills will lead the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors in 2019.
Northwestern District Supervisor Travis Hackworth was acclaimed chairman at the Jan. 8 meeting. Hackworth said he is excited about leading the board despite some big challenges ahead.
“I have invested Millions of Dollars in Tazewell County and along with my fellow BOS members have a passion to see Tazewell County move forward. We have had a tough couple of years with the decrease in revenue and loss of population.
The Board agreed Tuesday night we have been playing defense for the last couple of years It’s time to go on the offense!,’ he said. Hackworth spent several years on the Tazewell County Planning Commission before running for supervisor in 2015.
Hackworth and his wife Angel have four children, three grandchildren and two daughters in law. They own nine businesses that collectively employ about 90 people.
Those holdings include commercial and residential real estate, automobile dealership, restaurant, millworks and cabinetry and a pharmacy. His company owns businesses in Virginia and Tennessee and his construction business is licensed as a Class A contractor in Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee.
In addition to the board of supervisors Hackworth served on the boards of National Bank, Clinch Valley Medical Center, Communities in Schools and chairs the Industrial Development Authority for the town of Richlands.
The goals he and the rest of the board laid out for the year are:
- See more Jobs come in our County
- Work with our Administrator and fellow BOS members to create a balanced budget that minimizes the negative effects on our constituents
- See a Business locate in the Bluestone
- See Broadband Expand in our County
- Communicate better with Town Managers and Councils
- Upgrade our Fire Depts critical equipment
- See the expansion of our Tourism Dept continue, i.e. ATV Trail expansions, Jeep Trails, Walking Trails, Back of the Dragon, Clinch River Activities, Cabins etc...
- Work with our School Board on a plan for the future
- Improve the Efficiency and Availability of our County Workforce
- Work with our Sheriffs Dept to continue the “War on Drugs”
- See Tazewell County become a leader in Workforce Development
- Work with the Community Colleges to Graduate and Retain Students instead of graduate and export students
- Feasibility Study for a Regional Expo/Conference Center
- See more Lodging and Restaurants come in our County in 2019
- Work with Local small Businesses for expansion
- Reintroduce a Tazewell County Business Showcase in 2019
- Feasibility study for Senior Housing and Quality of Life for our aging population
- Encourage Local Business to invest in our County
- Regional Slaughter House/Meat Packing facility
- Work with other Counties on Revenue sharing projects
- Work with VA Tech on the opportunities we have in Tazewell Co for Agriculture