Harvey Stowers was outside patching fence on Tuesday afternoon when he saw smoke near his 8886 Clear Fork Creek Road residence, according to a local fire chief.
“He went up there and it was the house,” said Dino Willis of the Rocky Gap Volunteer Fire Department.
Starting in the garage, the fire quickly spread into the adjoining residence and flames were showing in the middle of the single-story house when Willis got there. Crews got the call at 3:15 p.m.
Stowers, who fought the fire with a garden hose until firefighters arrived, was treated onsite for smoke inhalation, Willis said. No other injuries were reported.
Since volunteers couldn’t take their fire trucks over a bridge leading to the house, they had to park along Clear Fork Creek Road and pull hoses to the structure. A propane tank at the residence exploded during the fire.
Crews battled the blaze for several hours, but the house was a total loss, Willis said.
Firefighters from Bland and Grapefield helped the Rocky Gap volunteers, and county deputies and rescue squad personnel also responded.
Willis said he didn’t know how the fire started.