Store fire

The Wytheville Surplus Property Store/Warehouse at 800 E. Main St. might be without power for several days after a fire at the store Tuesday morning.

Wytheville Fire Chief Marc Brade said the electrical fire started around 10:30 a.m. in a back room of the store where electricity runs in from outside. He said the fire appears to be accident, possibly from malfunctioning equipment. No injuries were reported.

The fire chief said there was substantial damage to the electrical system, but minimal damage to the building with no compromise to the structure.

Electricity was cut off to the shopping center while firefighters extinguished the fire. Power was eventually restored to the businesses, but some closed for the day. Brade said when firefighters arrived, there was light smoke coming from the top of the building. The smoke spread to nearby businesses, but eventually subsided.

The fire department set up an engine at the back of the store and an aerial truck in front of the store.

The surplus store will probably be without electricity for a while because a large electrical distribution box at the store will need to be replaced, Brade said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.